I haven’t done one of these in awhile, so I thought it was time to do an update on some of Vivi’s favorite things, and what seems to be working well for her at this age. Below are a few notes on each item (you can find links in the pink margin to the right of the image above):
(1) Coloring: This has been a big favorite over the past few weeks, and I have found that putting down a large quantity of construction paper taped to the floor works really well, since it seems like endless coloring space to her. We do our coloring in the sunroom, so I can easily contain the crayons and because of all the sunlight, it feels more like we are outside. Since it is SO hot right now, this is a big bonus! I’d definitely recommend the washable crayons (seriously, they are the best as she learns coloring boundaries!) and I wouldn’t recommend chalk at this age. I thought it would be fun, and we tried it for awhile, but she has a tendency to want to lick it, which gets thick chalk paste everywhere, and the chalk dust sticks to everything! Coloring has been the best activity I have found to hold her interest the longest, which is a big deal with a toddler! (Note: be sure to use tape you can remove easily enough from the flooring. We have tile in the sunroom, so it isn’t a huge issue.)
(2) Popsicles: Chip bought me a Zoku popsicle maker as a surprise, and I have loved it. It’s super easy to use (although I’m sure the regular old ones are fine – it’s just super fast) and Vivi loves the popsicles. I just puree fruit together (her current favorite is raspberries + bananas) and she finds them to be a very special treat. They are fun to eat outside, or in her high chair. It’s great because they take awhile to eat and keep her interested longer than the usual snack.
(3) Breathable Shoes: I recently bought these two pairs of shoes for Vivi (thanks, Nana, for the precious pink ones!) and I love them. They are great for playing, and let her little toes breathe, plus they are adorable. When we first started buying shoes for her, I balked a little at the prices because she will outgrow them fairly quickly, but being a very active toddler, she squeezes every bit of goodness out of those shoes and puts them to the test, and it seems to be in her best interest to invest in at least a couple of good pairs per season.
(4) Gossie & Friends Books: These are adorable! We have several in the series, and Vivi thinks they are so funny. She has memorized a few of them and finishes the lines before I can. They make me laugh, too, because the stories seem so familiar . . .
(5) Wheels: The shopping cart pictured above is a vintage Mattel Tuff Stuff shopper, so it’s hard to find, but they are so cute! My mom has my old one, and Vivi loves playing with it at her house. Here at home, she has a little plastic wagon that came with a beach toy set, and she loves packing it up with favorite items to tote back and forth across the house as she needs them. (Thanks, Molly, for the tip! It was a helpful comment on this post.) It doesn’t seem to matter too much the vehicle, as long as it can hold favorite items and can be pushed or pulled!
(Please note that I use affiliate links with Amazon, which means I make a small percentage from items purchased off of Lay Baby Lay. This does not in any way influence the items I curate, and it’s a small way to somewhat pay for Peanut’s shoes.)